Report or Comment? When a Journalist Retweets, it’s Hard to Tell

by Dan Ward

I returned from a meeting this afternoon and saw this in my twitter feed:

“@JebBush a flip-flop-flip on immigration? Wow. I fashioned you more of a baseball player than a gymnast. My bad. #notsurprisedatall”

The tweet was authored by Debbie Wasserman-Shultz, chair of the Democratic National Committee, so the partisan tone is to be expected.

But I don’t follow Rep. Wasserman-Shultz. I saw her message because it was retweeted with no additional comment by Tampa Bay Times Political Editor Adam Smith, who I do follow.

Now, if you read Smith’s twitter profile, you will see the message, “Retweets are not endorsements,” but that is only clear if you take it upon yourself to look at his profile. My first thought upon seeing the tweet was, “wow, that’s quite a partisan message for an objective journalist to forward on to his followers.”

Based on the disclaimer in Smith’s profile, I understand that he retweets comments as part of his journalistic responsibility to share information, rather than as endorsements, but I do wonder whether a disclaimer on a profile goes far enough.

Is it my responsibility as a follower to determine whether I’m looking at a report rather than an editorial comment, or is it the responsibility of the reporter/editor to ensure his followers know the difference?

13 Responses to Report or Comment? When a Journalist Retweets, it’s Hard to Tell

1. Kim Taylor says:

Adam Smith could take a note out of the AP’s Social Media Policy which spells out this scenario pretty clearly:

RETWEETING
    Retweets, like tweets, should not be written in a way that looks like you’re expressing a personal opinion on the issues of the day. A retweet with no comment of your own can easily be seen as a sign of approval of what you’re relaying.

Examples of retweets that can cause problems:
    1. RT @jonescampaign: smith’s policies would destroy our schools
    2. RT @dailyeuropean: at last, a euro plan that works

These kinds of unadorned retweets must be avoided.

However, we can judiciously retweet opinionated material if we make clear we’re simply reporting it, much as we would quote it in a story. Introductory words, colons and quote marks help make the distinction:

Examples:
    1. Jones campaign now denouncing Smith on education. RT @jonescampaign: smith’s policies would destroy our schools
    2. Big European paper praises euro plan. RT @dailyeuropean: at last, a euro plan that works

These cautions apply even if you say on your Twitter profile that retweets do not constitute endorsements. Many people who see your tweets and retweets will never look at your Twitter bio.

2. Maddison says:

It’s remarkable to pay a visit this web site and reading the views of all friends on the topic of this article, while I am also zealous of getting familiarity.

3. Hi there, yeah this article is truly good and I have learned lot of things from it about blogging.
    thanks.

4. fuck says:

Fantastic blog you have here but I was wondering if you knew of any forums that cover
    the same topics discussed here? I’d really like to be a part of community where I can get opinions from other experienced people that share the same interest. If you have any recommendations, please let me know. Many thanks!

5. sears coupon says:

One of the very best approaches to carry out couponing effectively is to follow the suggestions of different customers.
    It may be your friend, family, and sometimes even
    the web evaluations. Carrying out a development, where in fact the engaged people
    are being benefited is always reliable. When you can
    easily get data for using a voucher with sears discount code, it saves
    your time and effort too. This can also work vice-versa, where you can
    help others while sharing your knowledge on the internet
    or during socialization.

Since it happened, Richard Sears was a good deal in tune towards the progressions in his land and used them along with his new organization.
    As individuals we are beginning to go west and more railroads were being made,
    mail request shopping changed into yet another routine.
    Consumers from on the area were extremely energized to really have the capacity
    to ask such excellent things while never the need to
    leave their homes.
    At sears discount may be used on automotive products and services, apparels, jewelries,
    and loads more. You can acquire a promotion
    which can be employed on any particular brand or product
    class. There are coupons which may be used in a particular quantity of purchase.
    In this case, there mightn’t be any limit for selecting the products. Thus, it can be easily understood that how beneficial the coupons can be in terms of your purchase from Sears is anxious. Beginning the women sandals to even the mattresses and the exercise machines, the said coupons might be acquired in many different products, as mentioned earlier.

6. Likes says:

I am really inspired together with your writing skills
    and also with the layout in your blog. Is this a paid subject matter or did you modify it your self?
    Either way keep up the excellent high quality writing, it’s rare to peer a nice blog like this one nowadays..

7. dfc1318.com says:

dfc1318.com

Report or Comment? When a Journalist Retweets, it’s Hard to Tell | Taking Aim

8. is often a says:

These are most valuable to utilize if a child’s mattress is inside middle of the room or in the absence of an wall aspect.

Caps – Caps cover the top from the rail, leave cutouts for that stake holes.

in the absence of an wall aspect. Caps – Caps cover the top from the rail, leave cutouts for that stake holes.

9. カラコン 初心者

Report or Comment? When a Journalist Retweets, it’s Hard to Tell | Taking Aim

10. Hi my family member! I wish to say that this post is awesome, nice written and include approximately all
    significant infos. I’d like to look extra posts
    like this .