Face to Face Networking Goes High-Tech

by Elizabeth Buccianti

Today I came across what very well may be the next evolution of face to face networking. According to PokenPlace.com, a Poken is a key-ring sized USB device that lets you exchange contact details instantly – with the touch of a Poken hand.

You see, the USB device is disguised behind a cute little critter with an outstretched hand. Right now, Pokens are available in alien, bumble bee, panda and for the more adventurous – the Vodoo Poken.

bee

Here’s how it works: first load your contact information onto your Poken. You can set up your information to appear like a standard business card, add all of your social media names, or opt for both. When you meet someone else with a Poken simply connect your Poken’s hands together and viola! contact information exchanged. Contacts can later be retrieved by visiting a Web site and a Poken can hold up to 64 contacts at a time. I’m sure that will change as the product gains in popularity.

Ever meet someone you really didn’t want to share your business card with but felt obligated? Not to worry, press the button on your Poken twice and it only appears that your Poken exchanged information. You still get that person’s contact information and can opt for them to receive your information at a later time.

I really hope this catches on. What an imaginative way to streamline the sometimes lengthy process of collecting business cards and later manually entering data into your computer’s address book – and that’s only if you don’t lose the business card first. Plus it’s a great way to save paper and cut out one more, albeit small, line item of your operating budget.

8 Responses to Face to Face Networking Goes High-Tech

1. Felipe says:

That’s pretty neat! I like the bee 🙂

2. T Johnson says:

This really sounds like a great idea, hope it catches on.

3. Kerry says:

How long do you think it will take for the Poken to catch on and become big… only to move on to the next big tech tool leaving all of these cute little gadgets obsolete?

Kind of like how Furbies could talk to each other… now my Furby is all alone and collecting dust.

4. Roger Pynn says:

have your Poken call my Poken … we’ll do lunch.

5. Mom says:

Any hamster Pokens? I have first dibs.

6. Steve says:

My daughter and her friends love them, and I hope they catch on at school. They’ll be graduating soon so Pokens are good for keeping in touch, too. You can get these in the US at PokenZoo.com.

7. Amanda says:

I love that it comes in ‘panda poken’ .. perhaps this is something I should look into 🙂 maybe this will become bigger than business cards with raised lettering! haha

great post, elizabeth! i love finding out about these new gadgets.

Kerry – furbies still freak me out. I hope pokens don’t come to life in the middle of the night and say gibberish to you.

8. Josh says:

Are they going to launch the line of mainly poken’s? I feel like they could market wolves, sharks, lions, and more to the mixed martial arts crowd.

Anyways, just a marketing idea but it does seem very neat.